02 December, 2013

My Beach House - Master Bedroom








 

Before 1


Before 2





Every morning I wake up to breakfast in bed. 
No wonder I love this room so much!

This is one of my favourite rooms. It's sunny, light filled and really spacious. I painted out the timber lined ceilings white because they were very orangey and looked dated. The colour palette of white, aqua and light neutrals is fresh but very soothing at the same time - a perfect colour palette for a tranquil space like a bedroom. The white washed cane has a nice beachy feel which ties in with the seascape paintings. I reupholstered the day bed in textured fabric that picks up the same colour as the bedlinen and Derek painted out the frame white for me as the chocolate just didn't look right. Out of view is a Ching Dynasty freestanding robe in a bleached timber that holds Derek's clothes as I have taken over the walk-in-closet! It's a great statement piece and adds another dimension to the room. We added the timber wall panelling and painted it white to give it a bit of  Hamptons feel. Derek wasn't at all that keen on this idea at first but he really loves the finished result. I wanted to keep the floorboards and Derek wanted carpet. He won this argument and I'm so glad he did because in the middle of winter, the carpet just makes the room feel warm and cosy. We have a white TV in the room, so romantic comedies in bed make for a perfect evening on a cold, rainy night. We removed two cumbersome robes from the room which opened up the space and converted the old laundry into a walk-in-robe which is an absolute luxury for me. The old plasterboard was replaced in this room because it was too far gone for a repair job. I picked up the open weave cane pendant from Freedom because it reminded me of a fisherman's basket. The old fashioned louvres are great for warm, summer nights and it's a lovely feeling falling asleep to the sound of the crashing waves.

Melissah xox

Photography : Matt Lord for Coastal Style Blogspot  moodboard by Coastal Style


Check out Coastal Style Pinterest

14 comments:

Magali40 said...

Hi Melissah,
I'm french and I ask to my myself : What about the old fashioned louvres in winter ? Of course you close them, but is it enough to keep heat in the house ?
The style you two have chosen for your new house is very interesting.
I became a regular reader of your blog.

Melissah from Coastal Style said...

Hi Magali, these are the original louvres from the fifties so underneath my white gloss paint - they are all rusty & they don't shut tightly so they are a bit drafty in winter. However they have a lot of character so I am reluctant to replace the with the new draft proof ones with the plastic fittings. Maybe next winter when it's cold & windy I will change my mind but now that it's summer they are fantastic and I love them!
x
Melissah

Something Gorgeous said...

I am loving the photos of your house, it looks so beautiful. Feeling very envious. xT

Kim@Snug Harbor said...

LOVE the bedroom! Especially the bed spread and the day bed. But I would kill for those louvered windows. I adore those and they are hard to find anymore.

kerrie of sea cottage said...

Its all beautiful to me...though you know me, I would have all white bedding with a soft pale aqua throw...love those windows.

Mrs C said...

Melissah, this is stunning! I love the colors, perfect for beach house. I just finished redecorating (a small one) my house too after almost 10 years living in a company accommodation abroad. We decided to ditched the furniture that came with the house (that was not bad actually but not my choice) and splurge a bit. So we went with rustic vintage concept but keep the bedroom simple with wood and white fabric. Thanks to all your inspirational pictures I've been following for a while :)

GREETINGS FROM DUBAI!
MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES (a fashion and life-style blog)
http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.ae/

susan said...

Hi Melissah, wow........
your home looks wonderful, am loving the posts each day of rooms. I too love the Hamptons touches, went there earlier this year and it was 'heaven'. We live on the n.s.w. coast and have a love of all the beaches, keep up these great posts!!
Susan, Corlette

susan said...

Hi Melissah,
love your beach house style, with the hamptons touch, we also live in a modern 'beach house' in Corlette, n.s.w. We were in the Hamptons earlier this year and it was 'heaven' and more!!!!................you would looove it.
love your posts ,looking forward to seeing hoe you 'dresss' your hone for Xmas.............
cheers, Susan

http://deco4life.blogspot.com said...

Love the calm colours! Hug, Barbara

Candace Celmer said...

I just moved to The Bahamas and I'm looking for all the coastal chic inspiration I can get! Thank you for sharing. I love those lamps! Follow along as I design our new beach house at www.FromCtoC.com!

xoxo
Candace
www.FromCtoC.com

Aims said...

Hi Melissah,

I love this room especially the bedside tables and was wondering where you found them?

Thanks, Aimee

Aimee S said...

Hi Melissah,

I love your beach master bedroom especially the bedside tables and was wondering where you bought them?

Thanks,
Aimee

Aimee S said...

Hi Melissah,

I love your beach master bedroom especially the bedside tables and was wondering where you bought them?

Thanks,
Aimee

Melissah said...

Aimee, I bought them from Mandalay Designs in Armadale Victoria.
cheers
Melissah

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment - it makes my day and puts a smile on my face!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...